Thursday, October 01, 2015

Smoothie "Recipe" Round Up



You might have noticed my rough attempt at putting food stuffs together (ingredients), usually blending them, and coming up with a delicious smoothie, soup, or other pot of goodness, but as this has been ad-hoc I thought I’d take the opportunity this week to treat you all to a little round up of what I loosely call my smoothie “recipes”.  Pics and ingredients are all below.  Most quantities are changeable – even each time I make them – my blending is definitely not a science, so I’ve added a rough estimate of quantities, but please feel free to play about and find the way you like things if you do attempt any of the smoothies here.

I’d like to add a quick word on blenders…..I use a £7.99 Argos own brand blender and I blend, I don’t currently juice as I like to use the whole fruit/veg and other ingredients too, I don’t like to waste as much as juicer does and I want the fibre that blending the whole piece provides.  Also I am lazy and like to make these in the morning quick, easy, no nonsense and no washing up (I just rinse the blender immediately after use).  You can of course juice some of the recipes below but I would advise using much larger quantities of fruit and vegetables – especially of the more watery fruits and veggies and you won’t need to add the water/juice as listed. 
Back to the blending - You can of course use the professional blenders, or a handheld if that’s what you have or prefer, but the reason I mention this is to let you know you don’t HAVE to use the pro brands.  Lots of people ask me what blenders/juicers I’d recommend, well there you have it – seriously – if I can knock these up in my £7.99 generic appliance that I’ve been using for the last 4 years, then really, if you can’t afford it, there is no need to pay 10 x that much for a fancy one.  Of course if you want a fancy one – go for it! They do look nicer, they work faster, they can be small and sleek and of course have their benefits……


Anyway, SMOOTHIES……


Go To Green Smoothie:

Ingredients: 
1 x granny smith apple
1 x kiwi fruit
1 stick celery
Lemon juice (from about ½ a lemon)
1/3rd cucumber
1 inch raw ginger
Handful raw baby spinach
Handful raw curly kale
Splash apple juice
½ glass water

Method:
Chop all, add to blender, BLEND (add more water or juice as required for best consistency)


Bright & Boosting Green Smoothie:

Ingredients:
1/3rd cucumber
Handful raw baby spinach
Handful raw curly kale
1 stick celery
½ lime
1 x kiwi fruit
½ glass water

Method:
Chop all, add to blender, BLEND (add more water as required for best consistency)







Breakfast Smoothie:

Ingredients:
1 glass of milk (skimmed/hemp/oat)
1 small pot natural or Greek yoghurt
A good handful of whole almonds
Handful of coconut (pieces not flakes)
1 banana
1 tbsp milled flaxseed

Method:
Add ingredients to blender leaving a few whole almonds and coconut chunks to mix through/sprinkle on top whole, BLEND (add more milk as required for best consistency)


Red Wake Up Smoothie:

Ingredients:
1 x large orange
2 x carrots
1 inch fresh, raw ginger
1 x enormous beetroot
½ glass water

Method:
Peel and chop all, add to blender and BLEND (add more water as required for best consistency)








Berry Shake:

Ingredients:
1 glass of milk (skimmed/hemp/oat)
1 generous handful fresh blueberries
1 generous handful raspberries
1 tbsp flaked almonds
1 tbps milled flaxseed

Method:
Add all to blender leaving a few almond flakes to sprinkle through and add on top, BLEND (add more milk as required for best consistency)










Give them a go if you fancy and let me know what you think?  You can share your smoothie snaps and any additions/ingredients swaps etc via our Facebook page or on Twitter.  You can also find more of our recipes and images on Instagram and Pinterest.

To follow our blog, please see nononsensenita.blogspot.co.uk or follow us on Google+

For more info or any queries on the ingredients, blenders, or anything else please see www.nitakothari.com and/or email us on info@nitakothari.com


**Please remember this is nutritional advice ONLY (as is all other information contained in this blog, the website and social media related to it) None of the info or advice is intended to override any recommendation from your GP or health professional**

No comments:

Post a Comment